German Panzerkampwagen II Ausf D SdkFz 121 The Panzerkampfwagen II was a small reconnaissance tank, built as a result of delays with larger PzKpfw III and IV in the mid-1930's. First produced in 1935, by 1939 it was the most numerous tank in service with the German Army. The PzKpfw IID was built by MAN from May 1939 to August 1939 and had a completely re-designed hull with American Christie suspension. It was built as a cavalry tank with better speed and agility than the earlier models. A more powerful Maybach HL62TRM engine and 7-speed transmission was used, the hull was shorter, but wider and taller. Only the turret remained the same as earlier models, and was armed with a 20mm Cannon and 7.92mm machine gun. It was instantly recognisable because of its large wheels and hidden suspension springs. A second model, the Ausf E, was similar but had minor internal improvements. Though a top speed of 55 km/h was attained, cross-country performance proved to be poor and only 143 Ausf D/E tanks were built. The tanks saw service in Poland, but did not perform well. In March 1940 all Ausf D/E tanks were withdrawn from service for conversion to specialist vehicles.