Panther Ausf. D V2 The German Panther was one of the best tanks to see service in WWII, representing an ideal balance of firepower, mobility and protection. Two companies – Daimler-Benz and MAN – submitted design proposals for the new tank type, with the latter’s platform eventually being selected. Two final pre-production prototypes were delivered in November 1942 (V1 and V2), and series production of the sleek-looking Panther tank soon commenced. These had a number of differences compared to the first series production Panther Ausf.D variant, including a 650hp engine (instead of the later 700hp), a 60mm-thick glacis and a ball-shaped muzzle brake.