Bergepanther mit Aufgesetztem Pz.Kpfw.IV Turm Als Befeh The Panther was one of the most important tanks used by Germany during WWII. It was also converted into an armored recovery vehicle known as the Bergepanther. The Bergepanther was actually transformed into one other unusual vehicle when a Panzer IV Ausf.H turret was added to an early Bergepanther hull to create a command tank. This was a conversion performed by the heavy tank destroyer battalion s.Pz.Abt.653, and the resulting vehicle was called the Bergepanther mit Aufgesetztem Pz.Kpfw.IV Turm Als Befehlpanzer. It had a fixed turret and dummy gun, with the extra space inside the turret used for radios and map boards. The vehicle was used in the Ukraine on the Eastern Front in 1944 alongside the battalion’s Elefant tank destroyers.